Telecommuting offers advantages for business continuity managers, as the distributed nature of the workforce provides inherent resilience. In this sense, telecommuting can enable business continuity during unexpected disruptions, such as storms or traffic issues preventing staff from traveling to a central office.
It can also protect against more unusual threats. For example, it reduces the risk of losing a group of critical staff members due to a single incident or geographical disaster and offers a continuity solution for large-scale incidents, as demonstrated by the Covid-19 pandemic.
That being said, while telecommuting can be an effective solution for maintaining business continuity during disruptions, it is essential to highlight that significant digital infrastructure measures are required to ensure the effectiveness of this solution.
The availability of appropriate digital tools and technologies is crucial to ensure remote connectivity, secure access to company systems and data, and enable effective collaboration among remote employees. Additionally, robust policies and practices must be implemented to ensure data security and employee privacy and to ensure business operations remain efficient and effective despite the shift to a remote work environment.
ES Consulting, a company specialized in technology and cybersecurity solutions with extensive experience in implementing necessary infrastructure and security measures to ensure business continuity during disruptions, can assist companies in implementing effective and secure solutions so they can maintain their operations even in adverse situations.
With a combination of cutting-edge technologies and a highly skilled team of experts, ES Consulting enables companies to implement a business continuity management system in line with the ISO 22301 standard, ensuring that the company can identify, assess, and manage business disruption risks adequately, guaranteeing business resilience and continuity in any circumstance.
Some Basic Recommendations for Companies to Follow
Organizations should follow specific guidelines to facilitate the implementation of continuity-based telecommuting programs. These include:
• Determine who in your organization can perform their tasks from home. This would include workers who spend most of their time on the computer and/or phone. Additionally, modify work activities, so they can be carried out from home; this may involve digitizing many more records and information.
• Coordinate with IT departments to ensure these workers have a secure way to access the corporate network remotely.
• Develop and coordinate with managers an immediate plan to train workers in the basics of telecommuting and how a telework strategy promotes your organization's objectives and business continuity.
• As soon as a plan is in place, test it, evaluate it, adjust and refine it as needed, and test it repeatedly until telecommuting becomes part of your work culture.
• Develop a two-way notification system, so your staff knows when your emergency telecommuting program is being implemented and can report their location and receive instructions and support.
ES Consulting can help your company implement these guidelines and ensure business continuity during disruptions, while safeguarding data security and privacy and ensuring business operations' efficiency.